Following an inspection that took place on 6 and 7 June 2023, Ofsted has judged the overall effectiveness of the Stanground Academy, sponsored by the Greenwood Academies Trust (GAT), to be “Good”.
I hope you are keeping well and looking forward to the summer break that will soon be upon us!
I am writing today, to share the positive news that following the Academy’s recent Ofsted inspection, we continue to be rated as a ‘Good’ school. This is a wonderful achievement, of which we should all be incredibly proud. It’s certainly something we have achieved, and should celebrate, together.
While the Academy has received a ‘Good’ rating in all judgement areas, of particular note to the inspectors was the positive culture and aspirational education environment that we have created for all our pupils to enjoy. In the report, this was highlighted with inspectors noting that “pupils are proud to attend their school”, that they are determined to “achieve the highest levels of success possible” and that pupils “speak confidently about achieving their high aspirations in school and their adult lives”.
As you hopefully know, we are committed to ensuring all our pupils are empowered with the knowledge, confidence and skills to go on and live happy and full lives after their time at Stanground Academy. It is therefore, reaffirming to see this reflected in the report, with inspectors also commenting on the careers support provided as we work in partnership with pupils to take their “positive next steps in education, employment or training”.
This sentiment was also echoed in the inspector’s assessment of the curriculum, with the Academy praised for designing a “curriculum that enables pupils to choose from a wide range of education and career options”. Additionally, leaders were recognised for organising the curriculum well, providing teachers with the guidance needed to plan effective learning activities and empowering our colleagues to routinely check what pupils know and can do.
Additional highlights from the report include that:
- Pupils behave well at school and importantly, also feel safe
- Pupils read from a range of texts and staff effectively support those who find reading difficult, helping them develop confidence and a love of reading
- Pupils enjoy a positive and calm learning environment, in which “they listen well to their teachers and each other and willingly contribute towards class discussions”
- The Academy has fostered an inclusive school community, with sixth form pupils playing important roles, including as anti-racism ambassadors
- Safeguarding is effective and pupils are confident seeking support from teachers when needed
- Staff and parents appreciate the support received by leaders at the Academy and the Trust, helping improve accountability, workloads and trust amongst the community.
Of course, there is always room for improvement and looking ahead we will continue to work closely alongside our parents, carers and colleagues across the Trust to build on these strong foundations and further accelerate our positive trajectory. The whole process has been really positive, our vision remains clear, and we will strive to provide a “world class” education for all.
When you have time, I do encourage you to read the report in full, and again wish to thank you for your ongoing support.
We look forward to meeting you all again next year and wish you all a joyful summer holiday.
Mr M Van Lier